Thursday, March 23, 2006

Dear R.C.

I flew home this past Monday because of the death of my friend and former youth, R. C. Allison. The funeral was on Tuesday, and Sparta Baptist Church was packed with people in the sanctuary, hallways, fellowship hall, foyers, and nursery. I've never seen so many people there for anything. That was the impact that R. C. had on people. He loved all, and all love him. So I've decided to write him a letter. As my friend Betsy says, writing is therapeutic.

Dear R. C.,

I'll never forget you, my friend. You will be missed for now. We had many good times together. I think of all the times we shared laughs and more serious conversations.

I remember when I first met you at Camp Crawfordville. My first memory of you is playing volleyball. I even think I have you on video. You were so young then. Speaking of video. I remember that video scavenger hunt we did at the Pierce Memorial UMC VBS. That was hilarious.

Oh, what about the time you, me, Kyle, Wesley, Ben, and Jesse went camping at the quarry! Haha. We almost burned all of our stuff when a can exploded from the fire and coals went everywhere. It was quite a sight! What about the time we were in the woods and you decided to start a fire. That one almost got out of control. We went to church that night smelling like smoke.

I remember going to Six Flags with you, Kyle, Kevin, and their mom. There was a girl that Kyle was checking out, and you told him not to stare. You two together always had a way to make me laugh. I was usually left shaking my head and smiling.

I really enjoyed being your youth minister. Sometimes I couldn't keep you quiet, and at other times you were the biggest help in keeping others quiet. No matter what you did, no one could really get mad at you. That just the kind of person you were. It was great getting to teach you from the Bible, taking you to camp and retreat, riding with you to eat in Sandersville, and just hanging out with you for the fun of it.

Do you remember the time Ben and I came over and we spent about an hour and a half discussing the theory of time travel. Man we were getting deep!

I remember four years ago when Jamie and Amanda got married. We were there together. You came up to me, and I guess you read my face like a book. You knew what I was thinking. 'Will I ever get married?' You encouraged me so well. You were a good friend.

The sheer number of people that showed up at the funeral home and the funeral showed proved that you were a good friend to a great many. You had quite an impact on people. Bro. Jerry and I were talking about you. You were like one of our own (a son to him and a brother to me). To tell you the truth, I've never seen Bro. Jerry more upset than at your funeral. He loved you, and so did me and Jamie. Shoot, a lot of people loved you. Bro. Jerry and Bro. Allen did a good job at your funeral. You would be very proud of them. I don't know if you were able to watch or not (I don't know how that works), but it went well. I hurt with your family for their loss. As I told your granny, 'we grieve, but not like those who have no hope.'

You, however, I'm happy for. You have gone home to be with Jesus Christ. It must be something absolutely wonderful!

Man, I could go on and on, but I'll stop for now. I look forward to seeing you again and talking with you about so many things. We never were able to get together to eat before I left for Texas, but we shall feast together in heaven.

I don't know how long I have left on this crazy world (only the Lord does), but to you it will seem only be a few minutes before I join you in heaven. Until then, I bid you farewell.

Your friend,
Bob

No comments: