Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Adventures in San Antonio: Day Three

Hello all! Thank you for joining me again for this edition of my ventures in San Antonio. I think Jason and I are on Reason #3122 for me moving down here. Things have been great, and I'm loving it.

This morning, Jason made some excellent pancakes for brunch and we were off to see the Alamo. Before we go there though, we stopped in to see Kimberly, Jason's sister who provided us with the Spurs tickets. We also ended up going to visit Elizabeth again at the Westin.

When we arrived at the Alamo, I was impressed. I've read and studied about it (I mean, I did major in history), but to actually see it in person was quite an honor. Since it is spring break, there were so many people there...people everywhere. You're supposed to be quiet and respectful when visiting the old Spanish mission, but anything but quiet and respectful was happening today. After checking it out and snapping a few photographs, we left to head towards the Quarry area of San Antonio.

Jason had applied for a youth position at a church over there, so we stopped in so he could check up on it. While he was inside talking to the youth pastor, I was outside doing some photography. There was some beautiful architecture. I found my way into a garden chapel, it was a great opportunity to pause and reflect on God's greatness. After a bit, I went back outside to take some more pictures. That's when an old couple (obviously German and from out of town) decided to flag me down and ask me for directions. I really wanted to help them, but I myself wasn't from around here...so I pointed the way to the church office.

I eventually made my way inside to find Jason. He and the youth pastor were talking and they invited me in to join them. After a bit more of chatting, we were able to tour the church. They have fantastic facilities with a lot of room for growth. The sanctuary was beautifully built in the old gothic style in the shape of a cross (cruciform), like so many sanctuaries and cathedrals. It's designed to aid in worship. Unfortunately, most of our churches have to operate on a very tight budget and can't build sanctuaries that cause you to stand in awe of God's majesty.

After that, we headed back to Jason's house to eat. That was the plan anyway. We ended up just watching TV and falling asleep for a little while. This was not a bad thing, however, because we needed to rest before we went to the game.

Ah yes, the game! Go Spurs Go! I had a blast at the SBC Center, home of the San Antonio Spurs, NBA Champions 1999, 2003, and 2005. The New Orleans Hornets kept it a pretty close game with the Spurs only getting ahead by ten points at any given time. It was a great game! I loved getting to see Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Brent Barry, Michael Finley, Manu Ginobili, Robert Horry, and Nick Van Exel. What a great team! The Spurs defeated the Hornets 96-81.

After the game we came back home, laughing all the way. Tomorrow, we turn our attention to our book idea. Tune in tomorrow for more updates on the adventures in San Antonio.

No comments: