Sunday, December 25, 2016

Top 20 Books Read for 2016

I should make two clarifications.  First, this is not a list of books written in 2016.  This will be obvious to most.  Second, the title of this post is greatly misleading because I have excluded all books written by C. S. Lewis and all books about C. S. Lewis that I read this year.  Just click on the links to see those posts.  OK, I should also admit that my number one book for this year is connected with C. S. Lewis.
Also, there is one particular and unique book that I do not include in a list such as this, and that is because it belongs on a plane of its own--the Bible.  If you read nothing else, read the Bible.  Read the Bible before you read anything else.  This year (as is my habit of some years now) I read through the Bible.  I chose the English Standard Version.  I try to select a different English translation to read through each year.
One other thing of note.  The final count of books read this year is 143.  This is the most I've read in a single year, and this list comes from those 143 books.
Without further ado, here is my list.

  1. A Severe Mercy - Sheldon Vanauken
  2. The Two Towers - J. R. R. Tolkien
  3. The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
  4. Tremendous Trifles - G. K. Chesterton
  5. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
  6. Reading Between the Lines - Gene Edward Veith, Jr.
  7. The Power and the Glory - Graham Greene
  8. The Princess and Curdie - George MacDonald
  9. The Warden - Anthony Trollope
  10. Dracula - Bram Stoker
  11. The Quotable Chesterton - Kevin Belmonte
  12. Tolkien's Ordinary Virtues - Mark Eddy Smith
  13. At Home in Mitford - Jan Karon
  14. Murder in the Cathedral - T. S. Eliot
  15. Pymalion - George Bernard Shaw
  16. Bunnicula - Deborah and James Howe
  17. A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
  18. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight - Jessie L. Weston
  19. The Book of the Duchess - Geoffrey Chaucer
  20. Electra - Sophocles

No comments: