Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Alcohol


My position is as follows: Alcohol is ok to drink as long as it is done in moderation—in other words, do not get drunk. Ephesians 5:18 commands, “And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit.” To drink in order to get drunk is wrong. Drunkards are found on the list of people who will not inherit the kingdom of God in 1 Corinthians 6:10 and in Galatians 5:21. Paul instructs in Romans 13:13, “Let us behave properly as in the day, not in carousing and drunkenness.” Peter says that drunkenness is part of the desire of the Gentiles (1 Peter 4:3). In writing to Timothy concerning overseers in the church, Paul says they are to be “not addicted to wine” (1 Timothy 3:3).

What are the effects of alcohol? Proverbs has quite a bit to say about it. Proverbs 20:1 says, “Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is intoxicated by it is not wise.” The writer goes on to describe what getting drunk does to a person in Proverbs 23:29-35, “Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has contentions? Who has complaining? Who has wounds without cause? Who has redness of eyes? Those who linger long over wine. Those who go to taste mixed wine...At last it bites like a serpent and stings like a viper. Your eyes will see strange things and your mind will utter perverse things. And you will be like one who lies down in the middle of the sea…They struck me…they beat me…When shall I awake? I will seek another drink.”

Now personally, I do not like the taste of alcohol, but I am free to drink it if I so desire. I am not saying that it is the wisest thing to do, but it is acceptable. Paul addressed this issue of liberty in 1 Corinthians 8 when he wrote about eating meat sacrificed to idols. He says, “Therefore, if food causes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause my brother to stumble” (1 Corinthians 8:13). This is important for us to remember as Christians. Paul was willing to give up meat if it would keep his brother from stumbling. We also should be willing to give up alcohol if it causes our brother to stumble. For example, say for instance that I like beer (I really don't) and I go into a bar. While I am there a new member of the church walks by and spots me. What is he to think? He may come to the conclusion that it is ok to go carousing and get drunk. After all, he has seen a leader in the church in a bar. Furthermore, he may spread rumors that he saw me drunk in a bar and my credibility in the congregation would be ruined. Paul says that when we wound a brother’s conscience when it is weak, then we “sin against Christ” (1 Corinthians 8:12). Christians, be wise and be sober!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of course if someone saw you in a bar in Europe or England they would probably say, "Hey, there's the vicar (priest, bishop, pope), let's go join him for a round. Which reminds me, if you want to spot the Americans in Germany, just remember that they are the people who are getting drunk off the beer on tap in Burger King. This is a subject that is culturally driven. In DC people in our Sunday school class have beer at get togethers. There is no stigma attached. Back home down south though, there is such a culture of abuse that almost anyone asscociated with alcohol is seen in a negative light by the church going population. Which reminds me; how do you keep a southern baptist from drinking all your beer? Invite another southern baptist to the party.

One more thing...my wife and I need to know how Bob is treating this lady we've heard so much about so please visit http://www.jasonandbrandybaird.com . Go to my blog and leave your comments.