Tuesday, August 04, 2015

What Are Your Latest Efforts in Discipleship?

I divide my discipleship efforts into two:  formal and informal.
  1. Formal:  This includes all the large and small group settings such as Sunday School classes, Discipleship Training classes, home groups, Life Groups, Bible Study groups, etc.  These settings have been primarily discussion based starting from what the Bible says, translating it to what it means, and finally showing possible ways of application for the individual or group.  It is then up to the individuals in the group to follow through in the actual doing of being a disciple.  Then the next time the group meets there can be a time of sharing of experience from applying the biblical principles from the previous meeting.  That way the whole group benefits.
  2. Informal:  By far the greater of the two is this one.  Don't get me wrong, formal discipleship is important and useful, but informal discipleship brings greater investment and rewards (and yes, sometimes greater disappointment).  Because of anonymity issues (and because I haven't asked their permission to do so), I will not share the names of those I am currently investing in on an informal, yet more personal and practical level.  Right now I can call to mind two men (males should disciple males; females should disciple females) that I have been personally mentoring in the ways of discipleship.  Personal mentoring is one way.  It's the Paul-Timothy way.  Another way that falls into this category is the family discipling families model.  Amy and I hope to begin this at the parsonage soon.  This is where we will invite one or two couples or families over once a week for a meal and conversation geared toward living the Christian life.  
Well, that's it in a brief nutshell.  If you would like more information on being mentored, or if you would like to start the road of discipleship, just let me know.  Call me, send me a message, email me, send me a letter, or see me in person.  If we are going to have a strong, healthy, vibrant church, then we need disciples making disciples, who in turn make more disciples.

No comments: