Wednesday, March 28, 2007

6/365

Today, I am writing the opening sentence to my debut novel entitled Make Ready: Tales from the Bottom, and here it is: "Did you cry?"

Just for fun, here are some famous first lines:
  • "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of good fortune, must be in want of a wife." Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
  • "Mother died today." The Stranger, Albert Camus
  • "Now, what I want is, facts." Hard Times, Charles Dickens
  • "You don't know about me, without you have read a book by the name of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, but that ain't no matter." Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain.
  • "...the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it." The Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger
  • "Call me Ishmael." Moby Dick, Herman Melville
  • "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Genesis, Moses.
  • "Gaius Julius Caesar lost his father at the age of fifteen." The Twelve Caesars, Suetonius

Feel free to:

  1. Add your favorite famous first line.
  2. Tell the plot for my debut novel.
  3. Create your own first line for your debut novel.

1 comment:

Cecdaddy said...

"I always get the shakes before a drop." - Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein

"It was a pleasure to burn." - Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

"Brrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinng!" - Native Son by Richard Wright