Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Think

Those who have visited me, or have been in my office, quickly make the following observation:  "You have a lot of books!"  I usually respond with something like, "Well, I used to have more."  Over the years I have given away, sold, or loaned (permanently it seems) many books.  On occasion, someone will ask, "Why do you read so much?"  I've even been asked, "Why do you read?"  Of course, I'm tempted to respond with, "Why don't you read (so much)?"

Obviously, reading a lot takes a lot of time, but I believe it is well worth the time, effort, and mental energy.  Why do I believe this is so?  In Matthew 22:37, Jesus, quoting Deuteronomy 6:5, states, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind."  Jesus said that this is the greatest commandment.  The heart and soul are always being emphasized in the church, but when it comes to the part about the mind, it often receives little emphasis.  Even worse, learning and thinking is viewed as being suspect, and the pursuit of knowledge is rejected altogether.

I recently read a book by John Piper entitled Think: The Life of the Mind and the Love of God.  What Piper articulated in that book is something I also feel quite strongly about, both in my mind and deep down in my heart.  Here is one quote from the book which resonates within me:  "I have never been one of those who found the heart shrivel as God and His Word are known better.  Putting more knowledge in my head about God and His ways was like throwing wood in the furnace of my worship" (Think, 26).  That's it!  That is why I like to read so much.  Through reading and thinking, I'm keeping the fires of my mind and heart burning brightly to the glory of God.

This past Sunday, I preached from Matthew 5:13 about being salt in our world.  You know, as Christians we are to have  preserving and flavorful qualities about us as we seek to have an influence for Christ in this present darkness.  Reading, and then thinking about and evaluating what I've read, provides an avenue for loving God with my mind.  It aids me in renewing my mind and keeping it fresh.  It helps to prevent staleness and apathy in my thinking.  I don't want to get stuck in one of life's ruts.  I want to have some saltiness about me.

Of course, I never intend to be pedantic or prideful in the knowledge I have gained.  My desire is to use it for loving purposes and not arrogance.  I'm also well aware of Solomon's warning in Ecclesiastes 12:12: "The writing of many books is endless, and excessive devotion to books is wearying to the body."  Yes, indeed, it is wearying and tiresome, but it is worth the effort.  To not think, which is the alternative adopted by so many, is to me unbearable.  When it comes to God, His Word, His world, and His plan, ignorance is not bliss!

No comments: