Saturday, August 17, 2013

Cold Jolt!

When I was a teenager, I would spend a week of my summer break on a mission trip somewhere.  More times than not, that week would be spent in Helen, a quaint little German touristy village in the foothills of North Georgia.  In the midst of doing ministry (puppet shows, clowns, dramas, etc), the team would usually make its way down to the local grocer where that sweet nectar, Jolt Cola, could be bought.  Jolt Cola claims to have twice the caffeine content as a regular cup of coffee.  Now that may not sound like a whole lot compared to all the wacky drinks that are available today, but for us, it hit the spot--cold, refreshing, and it kept us awake.  In fact, late one night, Ms. Sandy Cliett threatened to remove all the Jolt in the house and ban us from buying anymore if we didn't quiet down and go to sleep.

Jared Pickard and I kept the bottle caps, and I'm sure if you look on Wesley Ryals' shelf, you may just see a Jolt cola bottle.  We had fun with it.  That bottle of cold Jolt kept us going.

Going to church is like that because it keeps me going.  Ever since I became a Christian at the age of twelve, I have loved being with my church family--whether that was in Milledgeville, Sparta, Fort Worth, Warthen, or Malta.  Jared Pickard and I used to sit on the back row (as teenagers mind you) and talk about "good old church life."  Well, that good old life is still going to this day.  I can't get enough!  The reason I can't get enough, I believe, is that all I can really have is a taste of what the reality will be like for all eternity in heaven.  And so, I want to be in corporate worship every time the doors are open.

The writer of Hebrews exhorts, "Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful; and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near" (Hebrews 10:23-25 NASB).

It is absolutely crucial for Christians to get together for worship, instruction, encouragement, service, and fellowship.  A believer can't go solo; there are no "Lone Ranger" Christians.  Dr. David Allen, Dean of Theology at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas, says that you're either growing in Christ or you're drifting away; the passage of years don't mean anything.

If you go to one service a week, perhaps Sunday morning, then try going back on Sunday night.  If you already go Sunday morning and evening, then go on Wednesday night too.  If you say, "Well, I attend all those things," then stop just attending and get involved with ministry.  Try something new.  Get to know the other believers where you worship.  Let us consider how we can spur one another on to love and good deeds.

Will you be in church this Sunday?  How about a cold jolt for your life?!

No comments: