Thursday, December 21, 2006

Eating The Word, Throwing Up Wisdom

Psalm 37:30-31 says, “The mouth of the righteous utters wisdom, and his tongue speaks justice. The law of his God is in his heart; his steps do not slip.” Here is the problem: my mouth often opens to speak words that are either spoken too soon or too sharp. Oftentimes I speak out of folly and not wisdom. I do a lot of complaining. My steps often slip in my speech life. For example, this summer I judged a person too quickly and spoke bad things about him. However, after getting to know him better, I now feel bad for the things I said. I wish I could take them back, but I can't.

Here is the solution to my problem: I must always be in God’s word. I must eat it as I eat food. Three times a day I will read from a passage of Scripture. My plan is to read the Old Testament in the morning with breakfast, a chapter of Proverbs with lunch, and the New Testament with supper. I have to replace all those negative words with positive words from God Almighty. My desire is to reach the point when people automatically come to me for wisdom and not simply joining me in complaining.

In addition to that, I make it my aim to memorize a verse of Scripture each day. Pretty soon I will have hidden a good bit of God’s Word in my heart. I pray that the Holy Spirit will cause me to remember the Scriptures that I have remembered in the exact moment that I need them.

No comments: