Monday, November 27, 2006

Crossing the Rubicon

"The year was 49 B.C. The order came down to Julius Caesar to disband his army and give up the struggle. He stood on the banks of the Rubicon River and pondered his dilemma. If he continued his march by crossing the river there could be no turning back. He turned to his troops, tore up his orders, and led his dedicated legion across the Rubicon to march against Rome. This act of commitment to his cause brought about a declaration of war against the Senate and, for Caesar, it paved the way for his becoming ruler of the Roman world. Since that day the phrase, 'crossing the Rubicon', has been used to signify total commitment to a cause from which there can be no turning back."*

I never thought I would compare myself to Julius Caesar, but I've decided to cross the Rubicon in my own life. This past Saturday morning, I got engaged to Miss Amy Hunt. I'm engaged!!! Needless to say, I'm very excited. However, I don't take this decision lightly. This is my act of commitment to Amy. As far as I'm concerned, there is no turning back. You can bet your last dollar on this. I'm not just some smooth-talking windbag!

This is how I proposed. Saturday the 25th was our anniversary. When Amy went to bed Friday night, I went back to my dorm room at Fort Worth Hall. I took a shower, dressed in my finest suit, and headed back over to Amy's house. When I arrived there, I reminded myself that all in the house were asleep (Amy, her parents, and Obi), so I would have to set everything up quietly. Thankfully, Obi didn't notice that anyone had come into the house, so I didn't have to deal with him wanting to play or bark or any of that sort of hubbub.

Once I moved into the living room, I quickly set everything up. Using both tact and reason, I lit some candles and placed the ring (which was in a gift box) under the Christmas tree. When I was ready, I turned out the lights and crept down the hall to Amy's room.

I woke her up by turning on the light. She was confused about why I was there again, and on top of that, why I was wearing a suit. When she questioned me, I simply replied with, "You're dreaming. Come with me." After I made sure she really was awake, I led her by the hand down the hall into the living room. I made sure I shut the door behind me so her parents wouldn't hear us.

I think she was excited that I would come see her in the middle of the night, but little did she know what was about to take place. I told her that Santa Clause came a little bit early this year, and that he had left her a gift under the tree. We walked over to the tree. I picked up the box and opened it for her. I quickly got down on one knee, read her a poem, and asked her to marry me. Her response: "Yes! Of course!" I had to stifle a whole lot of whoopla. She said I was trembling with nervousness. I was in a tizzy.

It was such a joyful and romantic time that I didn't want it to end. It was beautiful! However, it was after 4:00 in the morning at this point, and I badly needed sleep after day full of anticipation and fulfillment (not to mention that I had gone shopping earlier that day as well). We celebrated our engagement and anniversary properly on Saturday evening.

What about Obi? He never woke up while I was there. Even after going into Amy's room where he was, he didn't budge. I guess he too was worn out from the day's events.

Amy and I are happily engaged now! Our joy is unbridled! Wedding plans must be arranged now. We will update when we have more to tell. We ask that you pray for us as we plot a course for spending the rest of our lives together.


*O. S. Hawkins, The Art of Connecting. (Dallas: Guidestone, 2004), 139.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What in the joe blow eggnog are you talking about? The wedding is the day after you graduate; everyone knows that, so get with the program. You better send out invitations written on parchment with a quill dipped in ink.

Anonymous said...

Crossing the Rubicon? Hmmm... so getting engaged is the equivalent to crossing a river in order to take over Rome. Who is Rome? The only logical conclusion is ____________. I hope that Brutus and Cassius are not on your tail, for that would be a fruity mcnugget.

Unknown said...

Don't take the analogy too far...the point is commitment!

Bryan Laramore said...

not sure what all the hubbub above is, but me and my simple-minded self says, "Congrats again and again, Brian and Amy, may your marriage be a light of love and joy not only to yourselves, but all those you come into contact with!"