Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Abortion

I have heard it said that the ultimate test of any civilization is what it does with its children. The American legal system has decided quite some time ago that the murder of innocent babies is alright. Doctors are legally allowed to practice this gruesome procedure. Many debate whether or not the “fetus” is alive or not, but medical studies have shown time and time again that the child is in fact living. In all of my reading of Scripture, I have not come across any explicit command dealing with the subject of abortion. It was practiced. History has shown us that. Then why is the Bible silent on the issue? It is because I believe that abortion falls under the category of murder. Abortion is murder! In Exodus 20:13, God gives this commandment, “You shall not murder.” This is talking about the premeditated killing of a life. An abortion is definitely premeditated. An abortion also leaves the mother scarred physically and mentally for life. Just listen to the testimonies of women who have had an abortion.

Does God consider the fetus a person? In Psalm 139, David writes about how well God knows him. In verses 13-14, he says, “For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb. I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well.” In calling Jeremiah, God said, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations” (Jeremiah 1:5). In Proverbs 6:17, God hates the “hands that shed innocent blood.”

Should we as Christians take a stand against abortion? Well, consider some more of the Proverbs. Proverbs 24:11 says, “Deliver those who are being taken away to death, and those who are staggering to slaughter, oh hold them back.” The next verse tells us that we cannot plead ignorance. Millions of unborn babies are being slaughtered here in America and around the world. We must be a voice to those who cannot speak. Proverbs 31:8 says, “Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all the unfortunate.” We should not support the doctors who practice abortions either. Proverbs 28:17 says, “A man who is laden with the guilt of human blood will be a fugitive until death; let no one support him.”

No comments: