Friday, July 31, 2015

What Is Your Baptism Experience?

After going "all in" for Jesus in 1994, I approached my pastor and let him know that I had become a Christian. The next step was my baptism. After giving me a Survival Kit (which Lifeway still stocks, although in a different form), Bro. Jerry Pickard of Northside Baptist Church in Milledgeville, GA talked with me, met with me, and helped me to begin the discipleship process. Soon the baptism date was set for a Sunday night. I can remember telling many people that I had become a Christian (including teachers at school, I was in the 7th grade). One teacher, Mr. Charles Puckett, my English teacher, was excited with me. Although he couldn't stay for the baptism itself, he did stop by the church just prior to the service beginning. He met with me in the back of the sanctuary, and gave me a cross. He said someone gave it to him when he was baptized and was told to pass it on when the time was right. Then then instructed me to do the same when someone else was baptized.

I was led through the choir practice room, through a door, and into the baptistry. It was there that Bro. Jerry baptized me, and I publicly declared to all who were watching and listening that Jesus is my Lord and Savior. I identified myself with Jesus's death and burial. His death is my death. I also identified myself with Jesus' resurrection. His life is my life.


Baptism doesn't save you, but it is the first biblical step of obedience once you become a Christian.


When and where were you baptized as a believer?
If you have repented of your sins and trusted Christ in faith to save you and be your Lord, but you haven't been baptized, come talk to me.

No comments: