Wednesday, May 01, 2013

A Month with Matthew

This past Sunday, I began preaching through the Gospel of Matthew.  After reading a book by a guy who tried to live like Jesus for a year, I picked up on an idea he had.  He decided to read the four Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) once a week for a year.  I have decided to do something similar.

Resolved...to read (or listen to) the Gospel of Matthew everyday for one month.

Here are some of the things I can expect:

  • I will have a greater understanding of the Kingdom of God.
  • I will have memorized much of Matthew.
  • I will be much more informed in preaching through Matthew.
  • I will be much more informed in teaching the Bible in general.
  • I will have a greater understanding of who Jesus is.
  • I will have a greater understanding of what it means to be a disciple of Jesus.
I tell you this not in order to boast or brag, because I have so much to learn.  I feel like I need to do this.  Please pray for me as I seek illumination from God's revelation in His Word.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, May is over. It's evaluation time. 13 times. I only read through Matthew 13 times. My goal was 30. I fell way short. One reason I think I didn't make my goal was that I was also reading through Psalms and Proverbs, through the whole New Testament, other books of theology and devotion. I was also carrying on the duties of a husband, father, and pastor. Still, I don't accept those as excuses. I fully believe it was possible. I must try harder.
However, with those 13 times through Matthew came a better understanding of God's kingdom, Christ's reign as King, what's expected of a disciple, and much more. Once I hear part of a verse in Matthew now, I can finish the rest.
I really recommend this discipline and practice.
Grace & peace!